"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, January 29, 2016

Status Change

December marked the end of my stay-at-home-mom status, as I started my new part-time job at a local doctor's office. Being able to stay home with the girls had been good, bad, beautiful, ugly, happy, sad, frustrating, and rewarding. Ultimately it had little to do with whether I was cut out to be a stay-at-home-mom, and more to do with needing a routine paycheck.  I had expanded my small side-jobs over the summer which helped, but really wasn't enough. I had to find a job.

Because I knew there was always a chance Nate could get deployed, I didn't want to get a job too far away, or even resume my previous routine of driving a moderate distance at my previous place of employment. I couldn't go back. I was wanting convenience, and something close to home. I wanted a fresh new place to work where I could learn new things. I wanted to start over. 

It's funny how things turn out, whether due to divine intervention, fate, or just luck, although I've never considered myself to be a lucky person.  This past fall I had recently started writing some human interest stories for a local online news source here in my hometown, and I even share my blog there. I happened to be checking the status of one of my stories when I accidentally clicked the wrong tab, which led me to the classifieds, where I found my current job, posted right there, as if it were calling to me. I told Nate about it, and applied that night. A few days later I had an interview, and three weeks later I was back to work. 

That was the end of my SAHM job, and the return to the familiar normalcy of having a routine again. Honestly, working again has been somewhat of a relief, not because I can't handle being home, but because I just function better when I have a schedule to abide by, a schedule that is not my own. 

Sometimes small steps lead us on an even larger journey. Staying home allowed me to spend time doing the things that I love and ultimately led me to where I am now. I've finished a few projects, started some new ones, met some wonderful new people, spent time with my friends, and had the chance to spend a lot of time with my kids. Now I'm back to work at a job that I have to admit I actually really enjoy. I get to be a nurse (which you really can't ever be rid of once you become one), be a mom, enjoy my side-jobs, including writing, crafting, blogging, oiling, cleaning, and still have time to be me....and I'm loving it.  






No comments:

Post a Comment