"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, May 15, 2015

"SAHM"

Ok, so I'm a bit late on my update. I know, I was going to do it a week ago, but I got busy, sidetracked. I've had a lot to do! Choosing to be a "SAHM" (stay-at-home-mom) has been quite the adjustment! So, now it's been a whopping two weeks since I've taken an early "retirement" from my job and taken on my new roll as a full time SAHM.

I'll be honest, I'm not really fond of the SAHM title, since it makes the job sound really boring and simple, or lazy: "she's a mom that stays at home" or "she doesn't work, she stays home with her kids." Anyone who chooses to do the SAHM gig, knows that this is far from reality, and that every day is full of constant cleaning, fixing meals, laundry, tidying, pottying, diapering, tear-wiping, and running interference when the kids decide to re-enact WWF fights in your living room. 

Being with the kids on a more constant basis has also provided increased opportunities for sharing...germs that is. Now instead of being exposed to their germs for a particular set of hours in the day, I'm exposed ALL DAY LONG. Ugh, the coughing, sneezing, nose-wiping, booger smearing is atrocious! I've been cleaning, sanitizing, essential oiling, medicating, and still, I got sick in spite of it all. And I got it all: fever, cough, chills, runny nose, sore throat, and more.  My SAHM title is more like "Sick At Home Mom," which many of you know, is next to impossible. With any gain (my illness) of course comes loss. In fact, last night I lost my voice.

I'm not sure about any of you, but losing your voice is a real challenge when you have kids, especially young ones. They're always wanting something, needing something...that something usually being you, which of course requires a response. What does one do when they cannot speak? Well today I've basically been hoarsely screeching in my raspy whisper, trying to communicate as best I can. I feel like I'm yelling, just more quietly.

 It definitely affects my multitasking capabilities, as I can no longer sit in one room while they are in the other, and call to them my usual commands: "girls stop it, quit biting, stop hitting your sister, pick up your toys, throw away your trash, stop dragging the dog by his neck, and be nice!" And the girls, sensing my new state of speechless-ness, have apparently opted to pretend they aren't hearing me at all, as evidenced by today's activities which included rearranging the living room furniture while I was in the other room....geez! Of course, I can still physically complete all the necessary tasks of the day, I just can't communicate to my offspring. So, I guess I'm "half-tasking" it all. 

There really isn't a solution either, except for time. Lord knows, I've tried it all anyway: salt water gargle, throat sprays, herbal tea, etc etc. I may have to come up with a game plan however, because as moms, we know how fast things can get out of hand. One minute our house is neat and tidy, and the next thing we know, we've used the restroom and come out to find that little tazmanian devils have tornadoed their way through the house, and we're back to square one. It's kind of like the house cleaning version of Groundhog Day: clean, repeat. clean, repeat.

After throwing around several different ideas (complete family silence, sign-language, hand gestures, writing notes) I've decided on the simple yet practical whistle. It's genius really. I mean, one tweet for yes, two for maybe, and three loud distinct tweets for NO. Ridiculous, maybe. Loud and obnoxious, probably. Ear-piercing, definitely. Effective,  hopefully (keeping fingers crossed).  I mean, if it worked for Captain Von-Trapp in The Sound of Music, then I'm hoping it works for me.....at least for the next few days until I get my voice back. Now, if only I could find that whistle...

No comments:

Post a Comment