"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Where the Heart Is...

Having just returned from seeing Nate in Mississippi, I have a newfound appreciation and understanding of the term, "Home is where the heart is." It seems so cliche, but I've discovered that it is so very true...
My trip started out on a small plane heading for Memphis, from where I had a connecting flight to Mississippi to see Nate for a few days before he leaves this week for "the place we shall not name." I've done my fair share of traveling over the years, but rarely on my own. I found myself fidgeting in my seat, restless at the anticipation of flying without anyone accompanying me on my journey. After about an hour of this, I desperately wanted to find a way to entertain myself, and ended up singing (silently of course) "99 bottles of beer on the wall" in time for our descent.
Looking out the window nervously, I noticed how beautiful everything looked. Like an enormous patchwork quilt of fields and forests, it was blocked in varying shades of brown and  green with ribbons of dark grey blue streams snaking through it. I sat back and sighed, realizing just how small I am in this vast and beautiful country and how very alone I felt. After my connecting flight delivered me to my final destination, I picked up my rental car and headed for the Naval base to meet Nate.
We spent the next three days enjoying our time together, exploring the sights, and talking more than we had in years. We encountered a multitude of amazingly kind and generous people during those few days, who talked to us, asked us where we were from (our accents must have stood out ) and showed their appreciation for Nate's service. It's incredibly humbling when someone thanks both of us, shakes both our hands, and says they'll pray for Nate and our family.
One person in particular, I will never forget. We visited Keesler Air Force Base to do some shopping and when we were about to leave, Nate noticed a small booth where an elderly woman had tables set up, selling handmade fabric books. There were two in particular that we really liked, and after a few moments, we decided only to purchase one (on a budget, you know). After talking to her for a few minutes and explaining where we were from, and sharing about Nate's deployment, she asked us which other book we had liked and weren't able to decide on. I sheepishly pointed it out, saying that they were indeed all very beautiful. The woman reached over, picked up the book, rolled it up, and placed it in the zip-lock bag with the one we had purchased. Shocked and incredibly embarrassed, I said, "you don't have to do that" to which she replied, "You know what, don't worry about it. I didn't sacrifice much to make these, and you are sacrificing so much." Tears instantly welled up in both our eyes, and I started crying, hugging the woman tightly, feeling overwhelmed with emotion. She then hugged Nate tightly, tearing up herself, and said she would pray for us.
Visiting Nate and sharing these experiences with him has been bittersweet. I arrived back at the house tonight, noticing it's feeling of emptiness and that it doesn't quite feel like home without him. Home is where the heart is, where the people you love reside. It doesn't matter where you are, but that you're together. For now, home is here with the girls even though Nate is gone. Although it feels incomplete, I know that upon his return, this house will feel like home again. Until then, I will piece together my very own patchwork of memories and stories to share with him, quilting them together for his return home.

No comments:

Post a Comment