"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Fever, Peppermint, Whales, and a Purple Elephant

My youngest has had a fever for the past two days. Now, as a nurse, I try not to overreact when it comes to illness and fevers (other nurses, I know you are nodding your heads in agreement). In fact, I often joke that we only go to the doctor or hospital if we think we are dying. (again, more nods). This can be a good think, or a really bad thing.

Kids however, are pretty resilient. Often times mine are sick due to a virus and that tends to run it's course after a few days. My love for essential oils has really helped with symptom management, which I attempted to implement last night, after several days of Arden not feeling well. (disclaimer: I am not a doctor. Nothing I say or do will in any way treat or cure any illness or disease).

So, last night Arden was up again during the middle of the night for several hours, and in her feverish state announced that she thought that there were whales in the bed that were trying to eat her. (ugh....dying inside).
 I paused, then said to her "Oh, I don't think whales would want to eat you."
"They ARE" she responded

So, I picked her up, took her downstairs and suggested applying some oils.
"What if mommy rubs some peppermint oil on you? That will help cool you off, you know?"
She looked at me with that feverishly dazed look and said, "No."

I decided to try to change my approach, hoping for her to allow me SOMETHING that would give her relief, and give ME some sleep.
"Well you know, I heard whales don't like peppermint oil."
"Really?" she asked, somewhat excitedly. "Yep, it's true." I said. "A long time ago, a whale chewed some peppermint gum, and then ended up blowing bubbles out it's blow-hole, and it got stuck! So now whales don't go near anything with peppermint in it!"
She stared at me as though she was contemplating my sincerity.
"I bet if we put that on you, the whales won't try to eat you" I told her.
"Okay, I'll have some peppermint oil" she said.

Inside, I was laughing, smiling at the nature of the conversation, and equally exhausted at trying to convince her of something. (any parent of young kids understands this, I'm sure). I applied it gently, thinking of all the past fevers, illnesses, colds, and sickness, as well as imagined all of the future ones to come.

I carried her upstairs, tucked her in, and hoped for the best. Soon she was breathing rapidly but quietly, and I breathed a sigh of relief. Finally, I'd be able to sleep! It was only a few minutes later and she woke.
 "Mom! there's a purple elephant over there." she said.
"Oh, really?" I asked. "Are you sure?"
"Yes, I am mom." she stated clearly. I cringed, waiting for another request to go back downstairs for a drink of water, to use the toilet, or get a snack.
"Well, it's ok. It won't hurt you." I said matter-of-factly.
"No, it's with the whales and the whales aren't eating me." she said, then rolled over and fell asleep.
Go figure, I thought to myself as I quietly thanked my bottle of peppermint oil.

As I always say, life is about BALANCE. Despite our efforts, we caved, went to the doctor, gave a urine sample, and started an antibiotic...go figure.


No comments:

Post a Comment